Housing & Checklisting

This policy outlines the expectations and requirements of Housed Sorority and Fraternity Organizations in order to be designated as University Recognized Housing, and supplements the Office of Sorority and Fraternity Life Recognition policy.

Learn more about the policies

Freshmen members of housed sorority and fraternity organizations may be excused from the requirement that freshmen students live in university residence halls, so long as they reside in the official chapter house of a recognized sorority or fraternity. Students must provide a copy of their signed sorority/fraternity housing lease contract to IU Housing along with their application to cancel their IU Housing contract. IU Housing contract breakage fees will apply.

Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) and Insurance, Loss Control and Claims (INLOCC) professional staff have the right to enter and inspect relevant parts of the sorority or fraternity facility, including private rooms if necessary, for the purpose of conducting fire safety and kitchen inspections. No room will be entered without knocking. EHS and INLOCC staff will identify themselves and will state why they are entering.

Sorority and fraternity facilities are required to be inspected annually by a private vendor for the following environmental health and safety concerns: pest control, mold, sanitation, asbestos, lead paint, hazardous materials, drinking water, ventilation, indoor air quality (including radon), and conditions associated with, or that may lead to, the spread of communicable diseases. Inspections can occur more than once a year.

Fire Safety Inspections

Fire safety inspections are conducted annually by the Office of Insurance, Loss Control and Claims (INLOCC) for compliance with applicable Indiana Fire Code and NFPA standards as adopted by the State of Indiana. Housed organizations must pass fire safety inspections and fire drills conducted by INLOCC. Failure to pass such inspections may result in closure of the facility until the issues identified in the inspection are appropriately corrected and the organization successfully passes the inspection and/or drills.

Kitchen Inspections

Kitchen inspections are conducted annually by the Office of Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) professional staff to ensure the housed organization is compliant with Title 410-IAC-7-24 Retail Food Establishment Sanitation Requirements. Additionally, each organization (or their contracted food service company) must submit annual registration fees to the Office of Environmental Health and Safety in order to operate food service in a chapter house.

Consistent with the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, IU Police Department officers may enter common spaces and private rooms when there is probable cause to believe that violations of law are being committed and that a delay to procure a search warrant would endanger the health and safety of the residents, or result in the probable destruction of evidence. IU Police Department officers are free to seize illegal materials in “plain view,” but the extent of the search must be in keeping with the factual information upon which the probable cause for the search is founded. IU Police Department officers responding to an emergency may enter the HGO’s facility, including private rooms, without notice to protect the health and welfare of residents and/or guests.

Indiana University requires all housed sororities and fraternities to employ one or more Live-in Advisor(s) in the facility. The Live-in Advisor(s) must:

  • Have (1) a bachelor’s degree and two years of experience in supervision of residential living environments, or (2) be currently enrolled in a graduate program at IU and as applicable, be at least two years removed as an undergraduate member of the organization, or (3) be 30 years of age or older and have a minimum of five years of experience in supervision of residential living environments.
  • Work a minimum of 30 hours per week at the chapter facility and be available at the chapter facility during both large university and chapter events including Little 500 and Homecoming.
  • Provide support to individual members and chapter leaders, including guiding the housed sorority or fraternity on its emergency plans and processes.

The Live-in Advisor(s) may be hired by the housed sorority or fraternity, the House Corporation, advisory board, or the housed sorority or fraternity’s national organization.

The House Director may serve as the Live-in Advisor if they meet the above requirements, and their responsibilities extend beyond facility management to include both on-site advising and support.

House Director(s) and/or Live-in Advisor(s) are expected to be aware of university policies, including OSFL policies, and the expectations of housed sororities and fraternities. House Director(s) and Live-in Advisor(s) should report any violations of University and OSFL Policies, specifically any incidents of hazing and/or illicit drug use, of which they are aware to the House Corporation and the national organization.

Housed sororities and fraternities must provide the following documentation to OSFL annually:

  • Name(s) and contact information for the House Corporation Board
  • Name(s) and contact information of the House Director(s) and Live-in Advisor(s)
  • Name(s) and IU usernames of residents living in the Facility at the start of each semester
  • Documentation indicating proper completion of fire drills upon request
  • Annual documentation of fire code capacity for event spaces (indoor and outdoor) upon request
  • Proof of General Liability insurance policy
  • Information regarding Fees (room, board, parlor fees) upon request

Additionally, housed sororities and fraternities must develop and maintain a crisis management plan, including an emergency action plan for preparing and responding to emergencies, and submit them to OSFL upon request.

Past and current inspection reports, including those conducted by EHS and INLOCC, should be kept on file in paper or digital format at the facility. This includes any inspection reports required by the City of Bloomington and any outside vendor inspections that occur at the chapter facility, including the housed sorority or fraternity’s insurance carrier’s inspections, pest control, etc.

Documentation related to COVID-19 must be submitted upon request. Documentation requirements are outlined in the COVID-19 Addendum of the University Recognized Housing Policy.

Checklist Policy and Procedure

Checklisting was approved by the IU Board of Trustees in 1971. It provides housed sorority and fraternity chapters an opportunity to collect unpaid balances for room and board by placing a hold on the student member’s Bursar account.

Checklist holds may only be placed for the current academic year and cannot be placed retroactively to include prior year balances. The deadlines for placing checklist holds each semester are indicated on the OSFL Important Dates and Deadlines Calendar.

Delayed financial aid payments into a student’s Bursar account will cause a student to be checklisted. To prevent a checklist hold, the student and/or their parent must set up a payment plan with the chapter accountant/financial representative.

Authorized checklist requests

  • Room and board charges under an approved and signed written housing contract, totaling the minimum amount for holds set annually by Indiana University. For the 21–22 academic year, the minimum amount is $5,000.
  • Students must be enrolled and live in the facility; live-out students may not be checklisted for unpaid live-out meal charges
  • All checklist balance due amounts must be from the current academic year and not retroactive to include prior years

Submit a Checklist Request

If a student is checklisted by a sorority or fraternity...

If a student is checklisted by their organization, the student will receive an email notification from osflcheck@indiana.edu at the time the checklist request is processed, along with an attached document explaining the process. The checklist hold placed on the student’s Bursar account prevents the student from registering for classes, receiving a diploma, and requesting a transcript. The student remains checklisted until the entire balance due is paid in full, even after graduation. To settle the account, please contact the authorized chapter accountant/financial representative indicated in the email notification sent to the student who has been checklisted.

If you have additional questions regarding checklisting, please call 812-855-4311.