Education Benefits

Using your military education benefits at IU

If you are a past or present U.S. service member or the dependent of a service member, you may be able to use military education benefits at Indiana University. Our Center for Veteran and Military Students can help you determine your eligibility for benefits and learn how to apply for them.

Get started

The first step in using your military education benefits at IU is to apply for admission to the university. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions has detailed information about the application process for military and veteran applicants.

You also should submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), even if you plan to use your military education benefits to pay for school. Completing the FAFSA, which determines your eligibility for federal and state financial aid, will ensure that you receive the maximum amount of aid for which you’re eligible.

VA education benefits

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provides education benefits to qualified veterans and their dependents through the GI Bill® and other educational assistance programs.

If you’ve served on active duty for at least 90 days after September 10, 2001, you may qualify for up to 36 months of education benefits through the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. Benefits also may be available for qualified dependents.

Learn about the post-9/11 GI Bill®
Yellow Ribbon Program

If you are a nonresident student, you may qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program, which provides additional financial assistance to nonresident students whose costs aren’t fully covered by the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.

Learn about the Yellow Ribbon Program

If you’ve served on active duty for at least two years, you may qualify for up to 36 months of education benefits through the Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty. These benefits are available for 10 years after you end active duty.

Learn about the Montgomery GI® Bill Active Duty

If you are a member of the Selected Reserve (Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, or Navy Reserve or the Air or Army National Guard), you may be eligible for up to 36 months of education benefits through the Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve.

Learn about the Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve

If you are a veteran with a service-connected disability that limits your ability to work or prevents you from working, you may be eligible for Veteran Readiness and Employment benefits, including funding for education-related expenses such as tuition, books, and supplies. Benefits also may be available to qualified dependents.

Learn about Veteran Readiness and Employment benefits
Educational Assistance Program

If you are a qualified dependent of a veteran who is disabled or has died, you may qualify for education benefits through the Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance Program.

Learn about the Educational Assistance Program
Fry Scholarship

If your parent or spouse was an active-duty service member who died in the line of duty after September 11, 2001, you may qualify for the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship.

Learn about the Fry Scholarship
Fry Scholar Supplemental Grant

If you receive Fry Scholarship benefits, you also are eligible for the Fry Scholar Supplemental Grant. There is no separate application for the grant; the award will be processed by the Office of Veterans Support Services when you certify your enrollment as a Fry Scholar.

Getting your VA education benefits

If you are awarded VA education benefits, you are required to complete two online forms. The first form is the New Student Intake and this form is done only once. The second form is the Request for Enrollment Certification. This form has to be completed before each semester you use VA benefits. We use this form to certify your enrollment to the VA. If your enrollment is not certified, you won't receive your benefits. If you have questions about either of these forms, contact or stop by the Center for Veteran and Military Students for assistance.

If you receive any VA education benefits other than Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits, you must verify your enrollment with the VA by phone or online each month.

State benefits

The state of Indiana offers education benefits to qualified Indiana veterans and their dependents.

The Indiana Department of Veterans’ Affairs offers tuition and fee exemptions for:

  • Indiana residents who have received the Purple Heart
  • Children of disabled Indiana veterans
Learn about the exemption for Purple Heart recipientsLearn about the exemption for children of disabled vets

If you are a member of the Indiana National Guard in active drilling status, you may qualify for the Indiana National Guard Tuition Supplement Grant. The grant could pay up to 100 percent of tuition and regularly assessed fees.

You must have a current FAFSA on file and submit an application for the grant each semester you wish to receive it.

Learn about the Indiana National Guard tuition supplement grant

IU benefits

IU offers education benefits to qualified veterans and and their dependents enrolled at IU Bloomington.

If you do not live in Indiana, you may still qualify for in-state tuition rates. In order to receive a residency exception, eligible students must notify their campus veteran services office and provide documentation to confirm eligibility.

Find out if you’re eligible for in-state tuition

As a Pat Tillman Foundation partner university, IU is able to host one Tillman Scholar each year. Benefits of the Tillman Scholar Program include:

  • Academic scholarships
  • Professional development and leadership opportunities
  • Access to the Tillman Scholar Community, a network of Tillman Scholars at universities across the country

The application cycle opens in February each year.

Learn about the Tillman Scholar program

If you are a direct descendant of an American veteran of World War I, you may be eligible for IU’s LaVerne Noyes Award.

Learn about the LaVerne Noyes award

Indiana University is proud to present the USS Indiana Scholarship program in recognition of the new United States submarine (SSN-789) named for the great state of Indiana, and the men and women who serve on the ship. The scholarship also recognizes the 100th anniversary of IU’s first educational partnership with the US Navy which began on October 1, 1918. IU is connected to the USS Indiana by serving as home of the memorial to the previous USS Indiana (BB-58) outside IU Bloomington’s Memorial Stadium.

The USS Indiana Scholarship is a one-time award of $5,000 toward education-related expenses at any IU campus. It is awarded to one current or newly admitted, full-time graduate or undergraduate student each year. It is available for use in the academic year of the student’s choice. To be eligible, a student must be currently serving or have served in the past on the USS Indiana.

Applications should be submitted by May 1 of each year. The recipient will be notified by June 1. For more information, contact

IU’s Veteran Family Support Grant provides up to $2,000 in unrestricted funding each year to veteran and military-connected students who are enrolled full time at IU Bloomington and are supporting a child or children under 18. The grant is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis until funds run out.

Learn more about the Veteran Family Support grant